Young Alumni Council
The Young Alumni Council was established in 2010 to collect feedback from recent graduates on young alumni events and experiences. The council's purpose is to help South Texas College of Law Houston provide meaningful opportunities for recent graduates to stay connected to the law school and network with one another. The council is comprised of alumni who have graduated within the past ten years. The Council meets quarterly on the law school's campus.
The goals of this premier group are to:
- Connect and engage with the law school as advocates and contributors
- Collaborate with law school staff and serve as a link between administration and the young alumni group
- Serve as an advisory group to the law school on behalf of young alumni
- Foster young alumni participation in law school programming
- Cultivate a culture of financial support and stewardship among young alumni
- Work with South Texas Law to increase the number of young alumni who engage with the law school
- Assist in the identification and counsel of potential young alumni leaders and volunteers
- Serve as volunteer representatives of South Texas Law
Council members are expected to fulfill the following requirements:
- Attend no fewer than 50 percent of meetings
- Maintain contact with fellow council members and staff
- Coordinate any promotional efforts with law school staff
- Attend bimonthly young alumni events as well as regular alumni events
- Financially support the law school annually
- Actively participate in young alumni programs and initiatives
- Act as a standing group of volunteers to aid the law school's efforts to increase student-alumni engagement
There are currently three standing committees on the Young Alumni Council: the Development Committee, the Event Planning Committee, and the Student-Engagement Committee. Each committee consists of a chair (or co-chairs) who is responsible for coordinating committee events and ensuring committee goals are met. While service on a council committee is not mandatory, it is highly recommended that each member participate. Committees also are open to non-council members. The goals of each committee are:
- Development Committee – to encourage young alumni (graduates of the past 10 years) to financially support South Texas Law through personal outreach
- Event Planning Committee – to plan social events for young alumni and the greater alumni community
- Student-Engagement Committee- to engage current students in meaningful relationships with alumni through networking events and mentor/mentee relationships
How to get involved:
Those interested in becoming a member of the Young Alumni Council must complete an application. Council members are selected based on their involvement with and support of South Texas Law since graduation, as well as leadership roles undertaken in both their personal and professional lives. Additionally, we strive to select members that represent the diversity of our young alumni group.
Applications are accepted year-round and are evaluated by the Office of Advancement and the current members of the Young Alumni Council. All members will be evaluated at the end of each fiscal year to ensure they are fulfilling their duties.
For further information or questions, please contact the Office of Advancement at 713-646-2968 or email@example.com.