The South Texas College of Law Young Alumni Council was established in 2010 to obtain feedback from recent graduates on young alumni events and alumni experiences in general. The council's purpose is to help South Texas provide meaningful opportunities for recent graduates to stay connected to the college and network with each other. The council is comprised of alumni who have graduated within the past ten years. The Council meets four times each year on the law school's campus.
The goals of this premier group are to:
- Connect and engage with the College as an advocate and contributor
- Collaborate with College staff and serve as a link between administration and the young alumni group
- Serve as an advisory group to the College on behalf of young alumni
- Foster participation from young alumni in College programming
- Cultivate a culture of financial support and stewardship among young alumni
- Work with South Texas to increase the number of young alumni engaged with the College
- Assist in the identification and counsel of potential young alumni leaders and volunteers
- Serve as a volunteer representative of South Texas
Council members are expected to fulfill the following requirements:
- Attend no fewer than 50 percent of meetings
- Maintain contact with fellow council members and staff
- Coordinate any promotional efforts with College staff
- Attend bimonthly young alumni events as well as regular alumni events
- Financially support the College annually
- Actively participate in young alumni programs and initiatives
- Act as a standing group of volunteers to aid the efforts of the College to increase student-alumni engagement
There are currently three standing committees on the Young Alumni Council: the Development Committee, the Event Planning Committee, and the Student-Engagement Committee. Each committee consists of a chair (or co-chairs) who is responsible for coordinating the efforts of the committee to ensure that committee goals are met. While service on a council committee is not mandatory, it is highly recommended that each member participate. The committees are open to non-council members.
- Development Committee – to encourage young alumni (graduates of the past 10 years) to financially support South Texas through personal outreach
- Event Planning Committee – to plan social events for young alumni and the greater alumni community
- Student-Engagement Committee- to engage current students in meaningful relationships with alumni through networking events and mentor/mentee relationships
How to become involved:
Those interested in becoming a member of the Young Alumni Council must complete an application. Council members are selected based on their involvement with and support of STCL since graduation, as well as leadership roles undertaken in both their personal and professional lives. Additionally, we strive to select members that represent the diversity of our young alumni group.
Applications are accepted year around and are evaluated by the Office of Advancement and the current members of the Young Alumni Council. All members will be evaluated at the end of each fiscal year to ensure they are fulfilling their duties as members.
For further information or questions, please contact the Office of Advancement at (713) 646-2968 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Young Alumni Council Members